Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What were you thinking?

The other day on the news I heard a story about a guy who was trying to rob a gas station. In his attempt, he just took the whole cash register and ran. Apparently, in his excape, he had to drop the register when he couldn't get it and himself over a fence fast enough to evade capture. I would just like to know what was he thinking? Did he actually plan this out, or was it a fly by the seat of his pants kind of thing? One of those, "I'm a little low on cash, and the car needs gas, maybe I'll pick up some cash and some gas at the same time" kind of things. He obviously failed to plan. Did he even take into account that those cash registers are heavy? It would have been a sight to see though, this guy trying to run away with a register. Can you picture it?

So, this leads me to my thought for today. How carefully do we plan things out? Are we fly by the seat of our pants kind of people, or do we thoughtfully consider everything? I know that there are some situations you can't plan for, but you have to have some plan in mind for life right?

Monday I had a conversation with someone, we'll call her X. We were talking about this other someone we know (call her Y), whose husband is being deployed. Y was saying that she is going crazy. What happens if something happens to Mr. Y? Would she be able to support her family? Does she have the skills required to be hireable, or would someone even hire her since she's not exactly young anymore? X told her she shouldn't even be worried about that, just concentrate on her day to day stuff. Okay, I can see x's point, but I am so not that way. My response would have been, "Yea, that is a really great point, what would you do?" Then I would say to get planning. Because to me, the comfort would come in the the knowing that if anything did happen, you would be OK. You have a plan, and could make it if something went wrong. I don't plan on my hubby dying, but I totally have a plan if he does. It's that whole "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear thing."

But what about the saying to replace your fears with Faith? What then. Am I not showing faith by being prepared? Or does it take both? Something to think about and all because of a stupid criminal. Who, by the way, got exactly what he deserved... nothing. I'm just sayin'.

2 comments:

Lhone said...

Why didn't the idiot take the money out of the register? He would run much faster if he only had bills in hand. Worth the time to stop and take them out and then run. About the planning, I think you need both. I think you need to prepare to the best of your ability, and think about what might come up so that you can prepare. At the same time, you need to live in the moment so that you don't have life pass you by.

Dean and Cindy Hatch said...

Faith comes while you are "doing all that you can do". So prepare for the worst, and pray for the best. Either way, you'll be okay.
I'm just sayin this is obvious stuff. Mom