Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My money update #1

So I've tightened the belt. Cinched it real tight and am on my way to saving for decorating the Living Room. I plan on painting, but don't necessarily want to stop there. So, I am going to start with the paint and work from there.

So what was the first thing I did? And maybe some of you are already doing this, but I've modified my grocery shopping. I go through all the grocery ads that come to the house everyweek, and I write down all the good sale prices on only the necessities (cause no frivalous spending right?). Then I make out my grocery list and take it to Walmart. Apparently it is someones job at Walmart to do the same thing. And they input all those sale prices into the Walmart register's computer. SO when someone like me comes up to the checkout and says, that another store has this bread on sale for $1.57 as opposed to their $2. something, she types in the price that I say, see if it's OK and then continues. If there is a problem, she goes and grabs the book of ads that they have, and verifies. It's all pretty slick. I didn't have any problems with the stuff that I got this week, but I asked the lady doing my checkout what happens if the register doesn't accept the price I give her and she told me what they do.

I have found that on a lot of normal things like Peanut Butter that I buy Walmart is usually cheapest anyway, so now when I add in the other store's sale prices, I can get some good deals. I still go to Sam's club for some of their bulk stuff, but other than that, Walmart is now my store. Big Box or not, I don't care it saves me money... I'm just sayin'.

4 comments:

Lhone said...

pretty soon, you'll be doing the coupon thing too. good luck saving.

Sher said...

I always used to price match at Walmart. Mostly because they built a Walmart marketplace 1/2 mile up the road. So, since we've moved here, I haven't been doing it. I guess I should be better.
I just like to avoid the grocery store completely, till we have nothing but curdled milk, and moldy bread.

go boo boo said...

LOVING the Walmart price match thing. Can NOT beat it. We use it weekly. Walmart & Costco is where we go.

Megan B said...

And "go boo boo" is my sister who used my computer last week...That comment above came from me...