Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Two Weeks without a cell phone

One year ago, I got a new cell phone. In all my years of owning a cell phone, I have only had 3. The first one would have lasted forever, but you know, they used to be so BIG, that I thought I should update to something a little less embarassing for my husband. So I got a small flip phone and had that phone for about five years. However, one day I took the kids to the pool and Jenna got out, took my coverup (that had my cell phone in the pocket) off the chair and then stood over it and dripped until she got to her towel. I tried to dry it out as much as I could. I took the battery out and let it dry thoroughly before using it. But I think the chlorine from the pool water got to the connecters and they corroded a little bit. So then my phone wouldn't hold a charge for very long. And then after a couple of months of that, I broke down and got a new phone. A cute little red phone.

However, that phone lasted all of a couple of months (you know, right when the three month warranty is up - I'm too cheap to buy the exteded warranty, afterall why would I need it, my other phones lasted a LONG time). It started out with a little crack on the hinge, that became a bigger crack. Then, the crack broke, and the right hinge broke, then the right side, that has the wires slipped out. After months of trying to open my phone so carefully, it finally snapped in half.

So, after two weeks of no phone because I never had any time to go get it switched, I am finally back to my old phone. I just plug it into the wall whenever I am not using it.

The crazy thing in all of this is I went two weeks, that's right TWO WEEKS! without a phone and I survived. There's been some talk lately of cell phone use in the schools. My opinion? Cell phone use in the schools needs to be cracked down on. Big time and why stop there, it needs to be cracked down on in church.

First of all school. Besides the obvious that kids are using phones to cheat. What about the bullying? Sending texts to each other that are downright degrading and mean. And noone is THAT important that they need to be reachable 24 hours a day. If there is an emergency parents know how to get ahold of their kids (as long as they are where they said they would be). My thought is, phones shouldn't be allowed during school hours, period. If a teacher sees a phone or the phone rings during class, it gets confiscated. Kids would learn quickly.

I will say that I really like having the phone for teens when it comes to them driving because you never know when they will need some roadside assistance or get in an accident. And it is nice for them to be able to call when they are ready for you to pick them up (if they can't drive). But other than that, they don't have to be used that much. They should not have them on and be texting of any sort during school.

And church? Come on! One of the YW leaders in our ward mentioned that one girl came in, sat down by an outlet, plugged her phone in the wall and started texting while class was starting. Have we no shame? And then there's the people that say, "I have my scriptures on my phone." Yeah, whatever, if I actually believed that you were only reading from the good book, I would give you a pass, but I have SEEN you playing games so don't give me that.

SO, in those two weeks of no phone I realized that it is no big deal to go without a phone for any period of time. Noone died, there was no emergency, people called and left messages at home, I didn't miss any grand event. Maybe cell phones aren't as much of a lifeline as we make them out to be, I'm just sayin'.

6 comments:

Lhone said...

Totally agree. Blaine took a phone away from 2 kids in sunday school because they weren't listening, they were texting. Why give them a phone in church? Isn't mom or dad down the hall? They can't walk if their is an emergency. NO. They think it's cool to carry one around so they have to show everyone that they have it. rediculous. as for school... the office has a phone. If it is that important, they can use it. If not, don't let them call anyway. Why add distractions during school hours. They want kids to focus, and then they give them a phone? And, pansy teachers don't want to seem not cool, so they aren't going to take a phone away if they see it. They just warn. Plus, its just one more way kids can walk right into temptation. I say, NO PHONES!!

Judy said...

I had a cell phone for about 5 years (paid for by my work) and then I quit when I had Sam so no cell phone...
I just got a new cell a couple of months ago. So, I went 5 years w/out a phone, and I don't necessarily need one now... except it gives me peace of mind when I'm out and about and Sam is in school if they needed to get a hold of me.
In some ways I like to be unreachable...

Judy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joanna said...

I agree with everything that has been said! I have had a cell for many years but within the last year when Adam got one through work we decided to get rid of our cell phone plan. I wasn't using the phone very much (usually only Adam would call me on it) so I'm now on a pay as you go plan (a whole lot CHEAPER than a regular plan). I've got it for emergencies and it's been great. I pay $25 for 3 months, as opposed to like $50 ever month.

Heather - said...

I agree too. Don't get me wrong, I love having a cell phone, especially for emergencies, or say when James is downstairs and I'm upstairs...
that being said, just because I have a cell phone, it doesn't mean that I want to be reached all the time. I sometimes turn it off, I screen calls (one of it's best features), and I routinely leave it out in the car when I'm running errands.
Bring it to church? No. Let my kids bring it to church? Double no. I'm fully planning to not give my children cell phones, or give them a "firefly" (is that what they're called) that only has preprogrammed phone numbers so they can't call whoever they want.
Wow, this turned into a rant. Sorry.
|